File Compliant

​​​​​​What is an Ombudsperson?
An Ombudsperson is a protector or defender of citizen’s rights.

How can I file a complaint with the Office of the Ombudsperson?

For the quickest response please contact our office by phone or e-mail. You may also submit a complaint in writing. Simply download the complaint form in English or Spanish, complete and either send via email or US mail to:

Danny Morris, DCFAS​ Ombudsperson
​9750 Business Park Dr. Suite 220
Sacramento, CA 95827
Phone: 916-875-2000                 
Fax: 916-854-9443

What should I do before I call the Office of the Ombudsperson?

    • Keep good records, take notes, and save all of your documents. 
       Keep the names of the agency staff you have contacted. 
    • Contact the following people in the order listed prior to calling 
       the Ombudsperson: 
           1. Your Social Worker or Case Manager 
           2. His/Her Supervisor 
           3. His/Her Program Manager
    • If you don’t get satisfaction, then contact the Ombudsperson’s office. 
       We are just a phone call away.

How can the Office of the Ombudsperson help you?

    • We will provide information, answer questions and/or identify staff 
       or resources to address your issues.
    • We will research Agency policies and procedures that may assist you
       in resolving your complaint.
    • We will assure that matters are treated in a confidential manner 
       as appropriate. 
    • We will facilitate prompt resolutions of complaints in an independent,
       impartial, objective and professional manner.

What does the Ombudsperson do?

  • Provide information, answer questions and/or identify staff or resources to address your concerns.
  • Conduct independent complaint reviews regarding agency policies or practices.
  • Assure policies and procedures are consistent with Department goals and missions of the Department.
  • Assure individuals are treated fairly, respectfully, and with dignity.
  • Assure matters are treated confidential as appropriate.
  • Make recommendations and referrals when appropriate.
  • Facilitate prompt complaint resolution in an independent, impartial, objective and professional manner.

Is there anything the Office of the Ombudsperson cannot do?

  • We cannot overturn court orders or make recommendations to the court.
  • We cannot give legal advice.
  • We cannot investigate matters when appeals or lawsuits are pending against the County.
  • We cannot ensure implementation of any recommendation made following investigation.
  • Personnel and disciplinary matters are referred to an Agency Manager for appropriate action.

Who can call the Ombudsperson’s office?
Anyone can call: children, parents, grandparents, relatives, foster parents, attorneys, physicians, therapists, social workers, teachers, related agencies, or community organizations, etc.

What if I disagree with the Ombudsperson’s findings?
The Ombudsperson’s findings concludes departmental actions. ​If you disagree with the Ombudsperson's findings you may contact the following agencies:

Child Protective Services (CPS):
California Department of Social Services, Children's Services Operations and Evaluations Branch, 744 P Street, M/S 8-12-91, Sacramento CA 95814

In-home Supportive Services (IHSS):
California Department of Social Services, IHSS Quality Assurance Program, 744 P Street, Sacramento, CA 95814

Adult Protective Services (APS):

California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, 2218 Kausen Drive, Suite 100, Elk Grove, CA 95758

How can I file a Civil Rights complaint?
The Department of Child, Family, and Adult Services (DCFAS) Civil Rights Coordinator is responsible for ensuring Child Protective Services (CPS) and Senior and Adult Services (SAS) adhere to California State Department of Social Services (CDSS) Division 21 regulations.

The purpose of Division 21 Civil Rights Nondiscrimination in State and Federally assisted programs is to effectuate the provisions of the following laws, as amended to ensure that the administration of public assistance and social services programs are nondiscriminatory, and that no person shall, because national origin, color, race, ancestry, ethnic group, age, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, domestic partnership, medical condition, genetic information, religion, political  affiliation, citizenship, immigration status, disability be excluded from participation in, be denied benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal or state financial assistance:

Applicable Laws and Regulations:

  • Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
  • Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
  • Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
  • The Age Discrimination Act of 1975
  • The Food Stamp Act of 1977
  • California Civil Code, Section 51 et seq.
  • California Government Code, Section 11135 et seq.
  • California Government Code, Section 4450
  • California Welfare and Institution Codes
  • Other applicable federal and state laws and their implementing regulations

Applicable Programs:
  • Adoption Assistance Program (AAP)
  • Adult Protective Services (APS)
  • ​Approved Relative Caregiver Funding Option Program (ARC)
  • Foster Care/Child Welfare Services
  • In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)
  • Service Animal Allowance
  • Kinship Guardianship Assistance (KinGAP) 
  • Resource Family Approvals (RFA) 

Time Limits for A Civil Rights Discrimination Complaint:
If you think you were discriminated against, you must file a discrimination complaint within 180 days of the date the discrimination occurred.

To file a discrimination complaint contact:
Danny Morris, Civil Rights Coordinator
9750 Business Park Dr. suite 220
Sacramento, CA 95827
Phone: 916-875-2000

How can I file a Civil Rights complaint with the State?

State Department of Social Services
744 P St. M/S 19-90
Sacramento, CA 95814

How to File a Complaint with the State

State and federal regulations allow for you to file a civil rights complaint directly with the DHHS Civil Rights Coordinator at (916) 875-2000 if you believe that you were treated inappropriately or differently solely because of your:
      •  Race
      •  Color
      •  National origin
      •  Religion
      •  Political affiliation
      •  Marital status
      •  Gender
      •  Age
      •  Domestic partnership
      •  Sexual orientation
      •  Ethnic group identification
      •  Disability


Additional ways to file a discrimination complaint

CA StateFederal
Child Protective Services or In-home Supportive Services:
Civil Rights Unit California Department of Social Services
P.O. Box 944243, M/S 8-16-70
Sacramento, CA 94244-2430
Phone 866-741-6241 (toll free)

Adult Protective Services:
California Department of Fair Employment and Housing
2218 Kausen Drive, Suite 100
Elk Grove, CA 95758
Only for discrimination based on Race, Color, National Origin, Disability, Age, or Sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity):
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Office of Civil Rights
200 Independence Avenue, S.W.
Suite 515F, HHH Building
Washington, DC 20201
(800) 368-1019, (800) 537-7697 (TDD)